Wednesday, August 20, 2008

**EDITED** Gripe Water

**EDITED**
I should have done a little bit more research before I gave my baby Gripe Water. My aunt used it for her 5 month old baby this year and is the one who recommended it to me to use. For the first few days we used it worked great then we noticed Ben starting to spit up after we gave it to him. So I did a little bit more research and this is what I found: http://www.helpmeandmyfamily.com/colic_help.html

Baby`s Bliss


Baby`s Bliss

Guarantee: At amazon the package most be unopen for refund.

Description: Bliss Gripe Water is a highly effective, herbal supplement used to ease the gas and stomach discomfort often associated with colic, hiccups and teething. The product is based on an original gripe water formula.

Ingredients: Deionized Water, Vegetable Glycerin, Sodium Bicarbonate (15 mg), Organic Ginger Extract (5mg), Organic Fennel Extract (4 mg), Fructose, Citrus Bioflavonoid Extract, Citric Acid, Grapefruit Seed Extract.

I would not give my baby gripe water with Sodium Bicarbonate in it. Why, read below.



SODIUM BICARBONATE (BAKING SODA)

What is Sodium Bicarbonate and why do you NOT want to give your baby Sodium Bicarbonate?

Sodium bicarbonate is commonly known as baking soda.

Sodium bicarbonate is an alkali (antacid) which alters the naturally occurring pH of baby's stomach acid. Changing the delicate pH balance in baby`s system can cause over-alkalinity and exacerbate a colicky condition. Furthermore, sodium bicarbonate is also absorbed into the bloodstream and thus can have unwanted side effects.

Sodium bicarbonate containing products are not to be consumed by "children under 5 years of age", as stated clearly on antacid and baking soda boxes. Antacids always warn against extended use: "Do not use for more than 2 weeks".

According to Medline Plus, a service of the National Library of Medicine, antacids (sodium bicarbonate) "should not be given to young children (up to 6 years of age) unless prescribed by their doctor". Since children often cannot describe their symptoms well, doctor visits are advisable before giving any antacids to children.

Medline also warns against taking sodium bicarbonate with large amounts of milk or milk products. To do so may increase the chance of side effects.



So, I TAKE BACK my original message on Grip Water. I have stopped giving it to Ben and we are now searching for something else to give him to help ease his gas pains. We did the mylicon infant gas drops but they don't seem to be working.
____________________________________________________________________




Ben has been having belly issues so my grandma told me about Gripe Water, it's an all natural belly soother sort of like the infant gas drops. So, yesterday afternoon I went to Rite Aid and purchased a bottle (this was in the middle of a huge gas crying fit with Ben). Within 20 minutes of taking the dose he was calm and had passed quite a bit of gas. WOW. Ben was more alert and playful last night, he even sat in his swing for about 1/2 hr and fell asleep with out crying in his swing. He wasn't in a hard sleep, so I woke him up about 10:30 and changed his diaper and then gave him a dose of the Gripe Water and fed him a formula bottle. The little man was out in 10 minutes and slept until 2:30 a.m.! I got up with him, nursed him and then he fell asleep on my chest by 3 am the next time we woke up was with the alarm at 6:15 a.m!

I have to say, Gripe Water is wonderful. It works with babies who have upset stomachs, teething, colic or are gassy. I highly recommend it!!!

3 comments:

Trisha said...

Awww, that poor little guy. I'm glad you found something that works.

MBKimmy said...

yeah for Gripe water I need to get me some of that!
How is it going with Formula and breast?! I have started to think of doing both ... but am nervous I breast fed tatum until she was 6 monhts then I got all knocked up again and had to stop ... but she only ate every 3.5 hours ... this little guy is eating every 1.5 - 2 it is KILLING me ... hahah

MBKimmy said...

Oh I am so sorry ... that really sucks I was hopeing for both of you that you found the "cure"
good luck ...