Sunday, August 31, 2008

For Better or For Worse

The title of this blog is named after my favorite comic, the writer decided to end the story today. I've followed the comic since I could read. It's funny because when the oldest son got married, I got married, when he and his wife welcomed their first child, Mike and I welcomed our first child. I've enjoyed the comic because it's about family and real stories that the everyday families go through.

Last Wednesday I took Zachary to his kindergarten registration and we got to meet his teacher. Registration lasted for 2 hours. We got to know how the class will operate everyday, the different stations, the group and individual merit system, how the teacher sends communication home with the students, etc. We got the September lunch calendar and the schedule of events for the month. I left feeling comfortable knowing how class would operate.

During registration Ben stayed with his babysitter. I am really happy we found her, she is great. Each day she sends home a list of everything that the baby did and what time. For example, he had a 4 oz bottle at 9:30 a wet diaper at 10:00 a dirty diaper at 10:30, a nap from 10:30-Noon, etc. I like it because I know she's taken care of him an I know if he's still on schedule or not.

Friday was Zachary's first full day of kindergarten and my last day at the Chamber. We dropped Ben off at LoAnna's and then I walked Zachary into kindergarten. He wouldn't let me take a bunch of pictures (tear, tear) he told me he was fine and I needed to LEAVE. I got a few pictures of him but that was all. When I left I called Mike in tears, maybe it's just that I'm 6 weeks postpartum and I'm an emotional wreck right now, but I think it's because my baby, my first born is all grown up and off to school for the next 13 years and then he's off to college and out of our house. Friday was the day we officially had to let go and let him go off and do his thing. No more can we keep him at home with us from school just because we want to spend the time with him. (We used to do that at preschool, if we had the day off we'd keep him home because we could go do famiy things.)

Tuesday is the first official day of school for kindergartners, all kids will report to class at the same time. Friday was just 1/2 of the class. Since it's also my first day of my new job, Mike has taken Tuesday off from work so he can take Zachary to school. I am happy that Mike will be able to share in the school experience with Zachary. Mike also offered to take Ben to the babysitters that morning so all I needed to worry about is getting myself ready and to work on time. (Thanks dear!!)

Back to Friday, I spent 6 hours working at the Chamber, it was bitter sweet. I was training eveyrone so the time flew by. My step-mom Bev showed up around lunch time and asked to take me to lunch, we went to Bob Evans. She gave me a card and a gift certificate to get my hair cut, she had already scheduled my appointment even! I went back to work and almost for got to pick Zachary up from school! It was 3:30 and I looked at my watch realizing school lets out at 3:35! I had to run out of the office and end my last day there with out being able to say the proper goodbyes. I got to school on time (I drive very fast when I need to!) Zachary was waiting in his classroom for me ready to go. We then went to Memaw's to pick up Ben and to visit so Zachary could tell her and Allie all about kindergarten. She said Allie had been asking her all day if Zachy was in school or if he was done, she missed having him around. After visiting we went to my parents house for the usual Friday night sleep over. Mike and I had to run some errands in town so we went to dinner and ran errands.

Friday night Mike took care of Ben all night long! I got 8 solid hours of sleep. I thought he was at least going to wake me to nurse Ben but he didn't, he just let me sleep. Then on Saturday, I got to spend several hours of just me time. My grandma milligan gave me some $$$ to purchase new work clothes and then I went to get my hair done. I got it cut and next weekend I am going to get a perm. I think the perm will make it easier to get ready in the mornings. The boys stayed home with Daddy all decked out in their Ohio State gear and watching the first game of the season. (I have pictures I'll post when I get them off my camera). I enjoyed my alone time and appreicate Mike for letting me have it. I think he could tell I was about to blow a fuse and needed to get away for a bit. Don't get me wrong, I missed my boys also.

I'm at home with them today, we are going through all of my clothes and putting away the ones I can't wear anymore and reorganizing the ones I can. The boys and I are meeting Mike at my office (at the Chamber) to clean out my stuff and to get our fish tank. I wish I could just flush the fish, I really don't want to bring them home. Oh well.

My parents are having a bon fire / cook out tonight for Labor Day.

I will try to post next week with updates on the family.

4 comments:

MBKimmy said...

8 hours of sleep ... r u serrious?! I am so so jealous! haha you siad you thought he would wake you to nurse ... have you already pumped or are you doing breast and formula?! With Tatum i pumped and pumped, i havent at all this time ... yet that is ... and i dont think i will ..just wondering what you were doing?

Good luck with the new job!

The Smith Family said...

I am doing both, pumping and using formula. Ben has major gas issues so we are using Isomil right now and will probably in a few day switch to trying Similac Sensitive. I have been pumping since he was a few weeks old so we could give him a bottle when we went places. I have a ton of milk in our deep freeze ready to use for the babysitters. We have him on a 2 formula to 2 breast feedings, it seems to help his belly a little bit, although we still fight with a grumpy gassy baby all the time. I feel for the little man. I am trying to ween myself to nurse in the mornings, after work and during the evenings and use the formula during the day. I'm not sure how it will work, I don't want to dry up. I am able to pump 7-10 oz per setting!

Chris said...

I loved that comic too. Ben looks ADORABLE!! Miss you girl. I'll be more in the swing on the blogs next week I'm hoping! Thanks for all your comments on the care pages and all your prayers!

MBKimmy said...

I didn't know how to get you ... your comment was from noreplyblogger ...
the prescription we got is ... Axid I am to give him .75ml 2 times a day and we are using the formula AR ... Simliac (AR) Acid Reflux